w h i s p e r s a n d e c h o e s
An online journal of small things
• • ♦ • •
We will be opening submissions to Issue 3 at the end of 2017 / beginning of 2018, so please keep checking back.
Please note that we will be amending our submissions guidelines in the new year; double check them before submitting to avoid any confusion.
Please read the whole page before submitting. Thank you.
• • ♦ • •
What is Whispers and Echoes?
Whispers and Echoes is an online journal from Dreaming Spirit Press that focuses on very short work: poems no longer than 10 lines long, and flash fiction told in 100 words or less. The hope is to release an issue twice a year or every quarter, depending on the submissions. You can read Issue 1 here on the Dreaming Spirit Press website or here via Wattpad.
• • ♦ • •
What are we looking for?
- 1 – 5 pieces of flash fiction (each up to 100 words long)
- 1 – 5 poems (each up to 10 lines long)
- A mix of up to 5 pieces of flash fiction and poems
Although we accept multiple submissions as outlined above, each piece will be subject to individual consideration. Having one piece accepted does not guarantee all pieces submitted will be accepted.
Currently there is no set theme for the journal. We will consider all and any genres apart from fanfiction and work aimed at children, as long as it is original. YA is fine.
• • ♦ • •
Where will you be able to find the anthology when it is published?
In two places, here on the Dreaming Spirit Press site and on Wattpad.
Please ensure that you are signed up to Wattpad before submitting to us, even if you are not active on the site. Accounts are free to set up and it only takes a matter of minutes. The reason we ask for this is so that we can link your work with your account, as well as having the work attributed to you within the journal.
What if I don’t want to join Wattpad? Can I still submit? Yes you can. We won’t hold it against your submission, but we won’t be able to link your personal profile with the piece(s) we include in the journal when it is posted on Wattpad.
Why Wattpad? Because there is already a strong, supportive readership in place, and work that is posted there is protected. Also anthologies and collaborations are quite popular on the site too.
• • ♦ • •
Whispers and Echoes Submission Guidelines
- Please send all submissions to: email@example.com In the subject line please include ‘Whispers and Echoes Issue [insert issue number here] Submission – (your surname), e.g. ‘Whispers and Echoes Issue 1 Submission – Smith’. Ideally, multiple submissions should be sent in the one email.
- All submissions to be included in the body of an email. No attachments please. Emails with attachments will be deleted unread.
- Please stick to the word count. Titles do not count towards the word count.
- Dreaming Spirit Press is a non-paying market. However, contributors whose work is selected for inclusion in an issue of the journal will each receive a PDF copy of the issue their work is in. Note, this e-copy of the anthology will not be available elsewhere. It is a gift for the authors only, so that they might have a copy of their work, one that, should they wish it, they can print off (for their personal use only). The only exception will be for the use of reviewers as part of promotion for the journal.
- If you are writing under a pseudonym please make that clear in your email. Incorrect attribution is not the fault of the editor.
- All submissions should be accompanied by a short author bio (max 50 words) that includes up to two links (website / blog / Facebook / Twitter etc). Bio’s will be posted on a “Meet our Authors” page close to the release of the issue. Your Wattpad profile link should also accompany your submission.
- Reprints accepted as long as you hold the right to the work(s). Just let us know where it was previously published so we can attribute credit accordingly. What do we mean by the term ‘reprint’? Anything that has been previously published, including on personal websites, blogs and social media.
- Copyright always remains with the author. However, by submitting you are giving Dreaming Spirit Press permission to include your work in the issue you submit to, in the PDF contributors copy and to allow quotes to be used in promotion of the journal.
- Please remember to proofread and edit your work for grammatical errors and typos prior to submitting. We will only lightly edit the work that is included in the anthologies. The reason for this is time (remember, labour of love). Also it can be hard for an editor to know when there is a legitimate error in a story or a poem, or if a strange spelling is intentional, especially when it comes to sci-fi or fantasy, so please, please, please, check your spelling.
- Submitting does not guarantee your work will be accepted into the anthology.
- Please do not query until the deadline has passed.
- Our formatting requirements are simple:
- easy to read font (illegible submissions will be deleted unread)
- one line between paragraphs – no indents please
- place that which you would like to see in bold or italic, in bold or italic
- For poems: artistic layouts will not work with our current method of publishing. All that we can offer at this time is right, left and centre alignment of text, so please do not submit something that requires what we cannot provide. Ideally, simple layouts are preferred as they allow the words themselves to shine.
Any questions? Feel free to get in touch by commenting below, sending us an email or using the contact form here.
If you have read the guidelines above and would still like to submit to us, what are you waiting for? We can’t wait to read your submissions!