w h i s p e r s a n d e c h o e s
An online journal of small things
• • ♦ • •
Submissions Deadline: 15 March 2018
Proposed release date: End of March 2018
Please note that we have amended our submissions guidelines; double check them before submitting to avoid any confusion.
Please read the whole page before submitting. Thank you.
• • ♦ • •
What is Whispers and Echoes?
Whispers and Echoes is an online journal from Dreaming Spirit Press that focuses on very short work: poems no longer than 10 lines long, and flash fiction told in 100 words or less. You can read past issues here on the Dreaming Spirit Press website or here via Wattpad.
• • ♦ • •
What are we looking for?
- 1 – 5 pieces of flash fiction (each up to 100 words long)
- 1 – 5 poems (each up to 10 lines long)
- A mix of up to 5 pieces of flash fiction and poems
Although we accept multiple submissions as outlined above, each piece will be subject to individual consideration. Having one piece accepted does not guarantee all pieces submitted will be accepted.
Currently there is no set theme for the journal. We will consider all and any genres apart from fanfiction and work aimed at children, as long as it is original. YA is fine.
• • ♦ • •
Where will you be able to find the anthology when it is published?
In two places, here on the Dreaming Spirit Press site and on Wattpad.
Please ensure that you are signed up to Wattpad before submitting to us, even if you are not active on the site. Accounts are free to set up and it only takes a matter of minutes. The reason we ask for this is so that we can link your work with your account, as well as having the work attributed to you within the journal.
What if I don’t want to join Wattpad? Can I still submit? Yes you can. We won’t hold it against your submission, but we won’t be able to link your personal profile with the piece(s) we include in the journal when it is posted on Wattpad.
Why Wattpad? Because there is already a strong, supportive readership in place, and work that is posted there is protected. Also anthologies and collaborations are quite popular on the site too.
• • ♦ • •
Whispers and Echoes Submission Guidelines
- Please send all submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org In the subject line please include ‘Whispers and Echoes Issue [insert issue number here] Submission – (your surname), e.g. ‘Whispers and Echoes Issue 1 Submission – Smith’. Ideally, multiple submissions should be sent in the one email.
- All submissions to be included in the body of an email. No attachments please. Emails with attachments will be deleted unread.
- Please stick to the word count. Titles do not count towards the word count.
- Dreaming Spirit Press is a non-paying market.
- If you are writing under a pseudonym please make that clear in your email. Incorrect attribution is not the fault of the editor.
- All submissions should be accompanied by a short author bio (max 50 words) that includes up to two links (website / blog / Facebook / Twitter etc). Bio’s will be posted on a “Meet our Authors” page close to the release of the issue. Your Wattpad profile link should also accompany your submission, if you have one.
- Reprints accepted as long as you hold the right to the work(s). Just let us know where it was previously published so we can attribute credit accordingly. What do we mean by the term ‘reprint’? Anything that has been previously published, including on personal websites, blogs and social media.
- Copyright always remains with the author. However, by submitting you are giving Dreaming Spirit Press permission to include your work in the issue you submit to.
- Please remember to proofread and edit your work for grammatical errors and typos prior to submitting. We will only lightly edit the work that is included in the anthologies. The reason for this is time (remember, labour of love). Also it can be hard for an editor to know when there is a legitimate error in a story or a poem, or if a strange spelling is intentional, especially when it comes to sci-fi or fantasy, so please, please, please, check your spelling.
- Submitting does not guarantee your work will be accepted into the anthology.
- We aim to respond within four weeks of receiving your submission(s). However, this is not always possible, so we ask that you do not query until the deadline has passed.
- Our formatting requirements are simple:
- easy to read font (illegible submissions will be deleted unread)
- one line between paragraphs – no indents please
- place that which you would like to see in bold or italic, in bold or italic
- left alignment of text and verses
Any questions? Feel free to get in touch by commenting below, sending us an email or using the contact form here.
If you have read the guidelines above and would still like to submit to us, what are you waiting for? We can’t wait to read your submissions!