* * * Submissions to this anthology are now closed * * *
Love Letters to Selene
~ Letters and Poems Dedicated to the Moon ~
Love Letters to Selene will be our second anthology in the Love Letters series by Dreaming Spirit Press.
Deadline for submissions: 1 May 2018 Deadline extended: 1 June 2018 Proposed release date: End of May 2018 Proposed release date moved to: June 2018
Please note that we have amended our submissions guidelines; double check them before submitting to avoid any confusion.
Please read the whole page before submitting. Thank you.
• • ♦ • •
Let’s Talk Theme
Love Letters to Selene is to be an anthology of letters and poems dedicated to and honouring the Moon. For this anthology we will not be accept fiction submissions, unless they are in the form of letters or prose poems.
So what sort of themes are we after? Well, the scope of topics is wide: phases of the moon, cycles, lunar calendar, moon deities, the personification of the moon, moon myths and legends (both ancient and modern), hymns, songs and prayers inspired by or dedicated to the moon, the moon as a satellite of earth, emotions / thoughts / feelings inspired by the moon, the moon in paganism, the spiritual significance of the moon…as you can see, as long as it is inspired by the moon, it should quite easily fit the theme of the anthology.
Please note: we are specifically looking for pieces inspired by the moon, not just the night sky (we are hoping to have separate anthologies dedicated to the sky and stars in the future) . The Moon must feature prominently in the piece and / or clearly be the inspiration behind it.
• • ♦ • •
What are we looking for?
- up to 5 poems (max 50 lines long each), or
- up to 5 letters (max 1500 words long each), or
- or a mix of 5 poems and letters
*Please remember we are not accepting flash fiction or short stories for this anthology.
Although we accept multiple submissions as outlined above, each piece will be subject to individual consideration. Having one piece accepted does not guarantee all pieces submitted will be accepted.
• • ♦ • •
Where will you be able to find the anthology when it is published?
On Wattpad. Please ensure that you are signed up to Wattpad before submitting to us, even if you are not active on the site. Accounts are free to set up and it only takes a matter of minutes. The reason we ask for this is so that we can link your work with your account, as well as having the work attributed to you within the anthology.
What if I don’t want to join Wattpad? Can I still submit? Yes you can. We won’t hold it against your submission, but we won’t be able to link your personal profile with the piece(s) we include in the journal when it is posted on Wattpad.
Why Wattpad? Because there is already a strong, supportive readership in place, and work that is posted there is protected. Also anthologies and collaborations are quite popular on the site too.
• • ♦ • •
Love Letters to Selene Submission Guidelines
- Please send all submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org In the subject line please include ‘LOVE LETTERS TO SELENE SUBMISSION – (your surname), e.g. ‘LOVE LETTERS TO SELENE SUBMISSION – Smith’. Multiple submissions should be sent in the one email.
- All submissions to be included in the body of an email. No attachments please. Emails with attachments will be deleted unread.
- Dreaming Spirit Press is a non-paying market.
- If you are writing under a pseudonym please make that clear in your email. Incorrect attribution is not the fault of the editor.
- All submissions should be accompanied by a short author bio (max 50 words) that includes up to two links (website / blog / Facebook / Twitter etc). Bio’s will be posted on our “Meet the Writers” page close to the release of the anthology. Your Wattpad profile link should also accompany your submission, if you have one.
- Reprints accepted as long as you hold the right to the work(s). Just let us know where it was previously published so we can attribute credit accordingly. What do we mean by the term ‘reprint’? Anything that has been previously published, including on personal websites, blogs and social media.
- Copyright always remains with the author. However, by submitting you are giving Dreaming Spirit Press permission to include your work in the anthology Love Letters to Selene.
- Please remember to proofread and edit your work for grammatical errors and typos prior to submitting. We will only lightly edit the work that is included in the anthology. The reason for this is time (remember, labour of love). Also it can be hard for an editor to know when there is a legitimate error in a story or a poem, or if a strange spelling is intentional, so please, please, please, check your spelling.
- Submitting does not guarantee your work will be accepted into the anthology.
- We aim to respond within four weeks of receiving your submission(s). However, this is not always possible, so we ask that you do not query until the deadline has passed.
- Our formatting requirements are simple:
- easy to read font (illegible submissions will be deleted unread)
- one line between paragraphs – no indents please
- place that which you would like to see in bold or italic, in bold or italic
- For poems, our house style is simply this: left aligned, with a full stop or an asterisk between verses. It keep things simple and allows the words themselves to shine.
Any questions? Feel free to get in touch by commenting below, sending us an email or using the contact form here.
If you have read the guidelines above and would still like to submit to us, what are you waiting for? We can’t wait to read your submissions!