* * * Submissions to this anthology are now closed * * *
Love Letters to Gaia
~ Letters and Poems Dedicated to the Earth ~
Love Letters to Gaia will be our first anthology in the Love Letters series by Dreaming Spirit Press.
Deadline for submissions:
5 August 2017 (subject to change) Deadline extended: 5 September 2017
Proposed release date: September 2017 (subject to change)
Please don’t forget to follow this website if you are thinking of submitting to this anthology as once the submissions window has closed, a newsletter outlining what’s going on with the anthology will be posted on the blog. (To see an example of one of these anthology newsletters, check out: Summer Spells anthology newsletter)
• • ♦ • •
Let’s Talk Theme
Love Letters to Gaia is to be an anthology of letters and poems dedicated to and honouring the Earth. For this anthology we will not be accept fiction submissions, unless they are in the form of letters or prose poems.
So what sort of themes are we after? Well, the scope of topics is wide: Nature, the environment, conservation, personification /deities / spirits of the earth (Gaia, tree nymphs, tree spirits, nature spirits), nature worship, hymns, songs and prayers, paganism, folklore, earth spirituality, ancient myths and legends associated with the earth / nature / the environment, natural spaces (mountains, rivers, fields, meadows, caves, etc)
Please note: we are specifically looking for pieces inspired by the earth, meaning land. Not the world as a whole. So no pieces about the sea or sky please (we are hoping to have a separate anthology dedicated to them in the future).
• • ♦ • •
What are we looking for?
- up to 5 poems (max 50 lines long each), or
- up to 5 letters (max 1500 words long each), or
- or a mix of 5 poems and letters
*Please remember we are not accepting flash fiction or short stories for this anthology.
Although we accept multiple submissions as outlined above, each piece will be subject to individual consideration. Having one piece accepted does not guarantee all pieces submitted will be accepted.
• • ♦ • •
Where will you be able to find the anthology when it is published?
On Wattpad. Please ensure that you are signed up to Wattpad before submitting to us, even if you are not active on the site. Accounts are free to set up and it only takes a matter of minutes. The reason we ask for this is so that we can link your work with your account, as well as having the work attributed to you within the anthology.
Why Wattpad? Because there is already a strong, supportive readership in place, and work that is posted there is protected. Also anthologies and collaborations are quite popular on the site too.
• • ♦ • •
Love Letters to Gaia Submission Guidelines
- Please send all submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org In the subject line please include ‘LOVE LETTERS TO GAIA SUBMISSION – (your surname), e.g. ‘LOVE LETTERS TO GAIA SUBMISSION – Smith’. Multiple submissions should be sent in the one email.
- All submissions to be included in the body of an email. No attachments please. Emails with attachments will be deleted unread.
- Dreaming Spirit Press is a non-paying market. However, contributors whose work is selected for inclusion in the anthology will each receive a PDF copy of the anthology their work is in. Note, this e-copy of the anthology will not be available elsewhere. It is a gift for the authors only, so that they might have a copy of their work, one that, should they wish it, they can print off (for their personal use only). The only exception will be for the use of reviewers as part of promotion for the anthology.
- If you are writing under a pseudonym please make that clear in your email. Incorrect attribution is not the fault of the editor.
- All submissions should be accompanied by a short author bio (max 50 words) that includes up to two links (website / blog / Facebook / Twitter etc). Bio’s will be posted on our “Meet the Writers” page close to the release of the anthology. Your Wattpad profile link should also accompany your submission.
- Reprints accepted as long as you hold the right to the work(s). Just let us know where it was previously published so we can attribute credit accordingly. What do we mean by the term ‘reprint’? Anything that has been previously published, including on personal websites, blogs and social media.
- Copyright always remains with the author. However, by submitting you are giving Dreaming Spirit Press permission to include your work in the anthology Love Letters to Gaia, in the PDF contributors copy and to allow quotes to be used in promotion of the anthology.
- Please remember to proofread and edit your work for grammatical errors and typos prior to submitting. We will only lightly edit the work that is included in the anthologies. The reason for this is time (remember, labour of love). Also it can be hard for an editor to know when there is a legitimate error in a story or a poem, or if a strange spelling is intentional, so please, please, please, check your spelling.
- Submitting does not guarantee your work will be accepted into the anthology.
- Please do not query until the deadline has passed.
- Our formatting requirements are simple:
- easy to read font (illegible submissions will be deleted unread)
- one line between paragraphs – no indents please
- place that which you would like to see in bold or italic, in bold or italic
- For poems: artistic layouts will not work with our current method of publishing. All that we can offer at this time is right, left and centre alignment of text, so please do not submit something that requires what we cannot provide. Ideally, simple layouts are preferred as they allow the words themselves to shine.
And I think that covers everything. Any questions? Feel free to get in touch by commenting below, sending us an email or using the contact form here.
If you have read the guidelines above and would still like to submit to us, what are you waiting for? We can’t wait to read your submissions!